BBC纪录片地平线《重力错乱》第15期:GPS网络

This is Schriever basing in Colorado Springs.

这里是科罗拉多斯普林斯的施里弗。

It's a maximum security military installation.

这是个高度设防的军事设施。

This Denver's base without a runway. It's the home of the global positioning system.

这个丹佛基地,没有跑道。这里是全球定位系统的老家。

Half an hour late and we're quickly taken under the wing of Major Bandit Brant.

迟到了一个半小时 我们被迅速置于大盗布兰特 (指:军队的徽章)的保护下。

BBC纪录片地平线《重力错乱》第15期:GPS网络

Gentlemen. Yes, sir.

先生。是,长官

Well, welcome to the second space operations squadron, give you a tour as we walk down through here.

欢迎来到第二太空作战中队,旅行随着从这里往下走开始。

It's from this one room that the whole GPS network is controlled.

就是从这个房间——控制着整个GPS网络。

Running the floor today is Captain Chris Maddocks.

今天管理这一层的是克里斯·马多克斯上尉。

You must have the biggest impact of any military crew in the world on ordinary people.

你必定在对普通老百姓来说,有着世界上所有的军人的最大影响力。

Typically, civilian users aren't really our first thought, because I'm a war fighter.

通常情况下,民用用户绝对不是我们优先考虑的,因为我是个军人。

We think bombs on targets, planes landing safely.

我们考虑的是炸弹的目标、飞机的安全着陆。

Soldiers not getting lost in the desert.

士兵不会在沙漠中迷失方向。

But secondary to that, we do think there are people using what is it, Sam Sam or Tom Tom?

然而次要的是,我们会考虑到正在使用的人们,不管是张三或是李四?

Tom Tom. Tom Tom. All these users have the ability to get from point A to point B because of what we do.

张三李四。所有的人都能够由于我们所做的,从A到B。

The global positioning system works by using a fleet of satellites orbiting the Earth.

GPS是利用围绕着地球运转的卫星编队起作用的。

It's these satellites that are ultimately controlled by the American military.

这些卫星最终是由美国军方控制的。

How many satellites are up there?

上空有多少颗卫星?

We have 31 satellites up in the constellation. Minimum is 24 satellites.

我们有31颗卫星在上空就位。至少要有24颗卫星。

So, you can afford to lose seven of them?

那么 你承受得起少掉7颗卫星啦?

Hopefully not. On your watch, particularly. Hopefully not.

但愿不会。尤其是在你的关注下,但愿不会。

来源:可可英语 http://www.kekenet.com/Article/202005/609573.shtml